The accuracy is tremendously improved over older models, with an ultra high sensitivity GPS receiver locking on and holding a signal better than any I’ve experienced.
The integrated trip computer is fast and easy to use, with tracking that works in any conditions, well any I’ve tried so far.
Likewise downloading and sharing information with other GPS devices is quick and simple.
Large buttons, chunky grip, and lightweight yet sturdy construction make this Garmin GPSMAP 64csx GPS unit ideal for use in difficult and rough conditions anywhere, and if you do drop it, it is remarkably tough!
Exceptional satellite acquisition abilities and the 2.6 inch TFT color display (with a larger number option for easy viewing and dual-position display mode) make this a recommended model in the Geocaching crowd.
Water-resistant overall, and with the microSD card slot set inside the waterproof battery compartment, the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Handheld GPS Navigator is well suited as a marine GPS unit too.
Garmin GPSMAP 64csx
Handheld GPS with Altimeter, Compass and 8 MP Camera, Preloaded with TopoActive Maps
- Tough and water-safe plan with button activity and a 2. 6″ daylight intelligible shading show
- Preloaded with Topo Active guides (U. S. also, Australia just) highlighting routable streets and trails for cycling and climbing
- Realize where you’re at with a high-affectability beneficiary with quad helix reception apparatus and multi-GNSS uphold (GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo) and 3-hub compass with barometric altimeter
- Remote network by means of BLUETOOTH innovation and ANT+ innovation accessible on GPSMAP 64sx and GPSMAP 64csx models
- GPSMAP 64csx adds 8-megapixel self-adjust camera that lets you geotag photographs
- Battery life: as long as 16 hours in GPS mode
Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Best Price?
The Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Handheld GPS Navigator incorporates –
- an extremely accurate barometric altimeter system –
- provides current elevation ascent/descent rate
- minimum/maximum elevation
- total ascent and descent
- average and maximum ascent and descent rate
- featuring automatic pressure trend recording
- an electronic compass – displays an accurate heading whilst standing still
- a removable microSD card for detailed mapping memory (card included)
- preloaded with an Americas autoroute basemap – automatic routing capabilities including highways, exits, and tide data.
- a preloaded marine point database.
- 10,000 point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each)
- high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF
- Built-in quad-helix receiving antenna with remote antenna capability
- LED-backlit display and keyboard
- support for English, Spanish, Portuguese and French
- fast USB connection
- integrated outdoor calendar
- dedicated geocaching mode
- Up to 18 hours of battery life from 2 AA alkaline batteries
Looking for a feature packed, fast and reliable handheld GPS unit for hiking, backpacking and off-road biking?
The Garmin GPSMAP 64csx is My Top Pick in this Price Range.
For most people this will be the only handheld GPS device they need for a whole range of outdoor pursuits.
Top of the range accuracy and the clearest, sunlight-readable screen at a mid-range price point makes it the clear winner. Get the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx best price at Amazon here.
Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Pros And Cons
- Locates position quickly and acquires more satellites than models at twice the price.
- The Garmin GPSMAP 64csx is a brilliant hiking and backpacking companion.
- The tracking feature automatically creates a track log for your trip, which could just be a lifesaver.
- MicroSD card support means you don’t have to connect the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx GPS unit to the computer to upload new maps.
- Layout of the buttons and menus are logical and easy to use.
- Offers a lot of customization options.
- When used as an in car GPS the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Handheld is not so good, but then the clue is in the name!
- The handheld GPS unit is not designed for that purpose, so if you really need an in car GPS maybe buy a specialist model.
- First time users will need to spend a few hours playing around with the unit and manual to become comfortable with using all the options.
- The Garmin map software is good, but not perfectly complete, and anything other than the basic built in US map has to be bought separately.
- Of course, these things tend to apply to all handheld GPS systems, and are not specifically a problem of the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx.
Overall, for value for money, you will find no better handheld GPS unit.
Yes, there are higher-end ones available, but you would pay a lot more for little increase in usefulness.
Let me give you an idea of what current owners feel about the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Handheld
I have had my Garmin GPSMAP 64csx for a while and this is still the best all-around unit out there in my opinion.
I wanted a portable GPS unit to use on my boat, mountain bikes, and in the car. The Garmin GPSMAP 64csx has been great. I keep two separate data cards, one for hiking and mountain biking Topo maps, and the other for road biking and car navigation. Great fun seeing your hiking and off-road track data with mileage and elevation data on satellite and regular maps. The road navigation is good, not fancy but it works. The Garmin 64csx takes AA batteries, and the batteries do run 18 hours as advertised, or the GPS unit can be run from a cigarette power outlet with a USB adapter. No need for proprietary batteries and fittings.
So, the Garmin GPSMAP 64csx Handheld GPS Navigator was a worthwhile purchase.