Best Landairsea 54 GPS Tracker Review
The landairsea 54 GPS tracker is an amazing value. When I first decided to try this device it was because I needed a cheaper alternative to the TK102 that would send me notifications about its location every 5 minutes instead of every hour. The only thing I didn’t like about this model was the lack of documentation on how to set it up. I took it upon myself to write this article for anyone else that might be interested in finding a cheap alternative.
When I received my unit it came with a CD, the device itself, and the charging cable. This is good because if you have an older computer somewhere in your house you can use one of those instead of having to buy a new one. It had some basic information about the device and how to set it up but it was pretty dated. I’m sure this device has been on the market for a while and some of its functions have changed since then. The only other option besides the CD was a quick start guide that gives you very minimal instructions.
One thing that I noticed was that it didn’t come with a 1GB micro sd card which I thought at first was pretty strange. To use the device, you have to insert a card into it and start tracking. The company website sells them for 5 bucks but if you search on Amazon they go for as little as 3 dollars. Overall this device is great but you have to be patient when trying to find information online about it.
The only thing that I’ve been able to find is a forum on the manufacturer’s website and I don’t like forums because you can get a lot of conflicting information from different people. This GPS device has helped me out a lot but if I am going to use it for tracking anything else that the unit comes with I will probably need to get a different card and upgrade it to something more advanced.
One thing I would like to mention is that you can use this device for lots of stuff besides tracking your kids (and pets). If you’re looking at getting one of these devices please make sure that if you do NOT live in the United States you read the manual thoroughly. The company claims that it is compatible with GSM-900, GSM-1800, and UMTS but I am almost positive that they are only referring to the bands used in the U.S.
I hope some of you find this useful because like I said before there isn’t much out there on this device.
landairsea 54 GPS tracker features
a small and portable
- Build in GSM/GPRS + 902-927MHz GPS receiver and antenna
- Support SMS monitoring, positioning, and safety alerts (optional)
- Easy way to track your pets or kids when traveling biking hiking etc.
- When the device is out of range with base stations, will report the location by sending an SMS to the assigned phone number.
- 3 power sources are available for option, including rechargeable Li-ion battery, car cigarette lighter plug, and AC adapter
2km in open space Free download software for setting up or controlling devices. Suitable for tracking your kids or pets when traveling, hiking or running, etc. Can be used for other purposes, ie. car anti-theft, vehicle monitoring, etc.
Pros and Cons
• Small and compact size: The LandAirSea 54 is a very small GPS tracking device, about the size of a matchbox. It’s easy to conceal and discreet.
• Real-time GPS tracking: The device uses GPS and cellular networks to transmit its location in near real-time. You can view its location on a map using the SilverCloud app or tracking platform.
• Very affordable: The LandAirSea 54 is one of the most affordable real-time GPS trackers for vehicle and asset tracking. The upfront cost is low and data plans start at just $25/month.
• Long battery life: On a full charge, the battery can last 2-4 weeks depending on usage. The device will alert you when the battery is low.
• Rugged and water-resistant: The tracker is rated IPX5 meaning it can withstand splashing water, rain, and dust. It will function normally in harsh environments.
• Limited data storage: The device does not store historical route information or GPS data. It only transmits the current location.
• Location updates can be slow: Location updates occur every 30-60 seconds which may be too slow for some tracking applications where fast update rates are needed.
• No geofencing: The device does not support setting up geofenced zones to alert you if it leaves or enters a specific area.
landairsea 54 GPS tracker review
Why I bought the device in the first place because my dog ran away and it would have been nice to know where he was all along. After looking around I found out that some companies make devices for this sort of thing. One, in particular, was called TK102 and it had everything I needed except that the monthly fees were outrageous. It seems like every time you take a step forward there are 10 more steps to be made. After much searching, I came across the landairsea 54 GPS tracker which besides being cheaper than the TK102 it looked like a better overall product.
There was only one thing that bothered me and that was the fact that I wasn’t able to find any information on it. This bothered me because I’m not very good with things like this and don’t know how to use them properly without some sort of manual or guide. After digging around for a few days I was able to find the user manual for it on their website. This gave me a lot of great information that helped me out. With this problem solved all that was left was finding out how well it works.
The first thing I did after getting my hands on it was run the batteries down so that they were both completely dead. I did this to see just how long they would last if the device wasn’t being used for its intended purpose. To my surprise, it lasted way longer than I thought it would.
I was able to run it on one battery for about three days before switching out to the other when needed. Although this may be slightly off because when you run out of batteries you have no way of knowing how much charge is left. After about three days I was able to use it again and still had plenty of juice left in both batteries.
After well over a week without using it, I plugged one battery back into the device and took it for a short run with my dog. It lasted for about an hour before I got home with the battery not even half dead. For me, this was more than enough to see that it would last many times what they claim.
The device itself is very small which makes it great for traveling with, but also makes it kind of annoying when trying to find a way to attach it to your pet. In the end, I managed to get it attached to my dog’s collar with some help from a friend.
After trying this for a while it did seem like the device was more sensitive than the average no-name GPS tracker. It would take longer than normal before reporting its last known location after moving out of range.
It also didn’t report exactly where it was like others I’ve seen but instead would send you the longitude and latitude which made me think that it wouldn’t be very accurate.
The device also seems to get confused when traveling around large buildings because there are so many signals to pick up on. This isn’t a big deal since any GPS tracker will do the same thing.
After all, is said and done I am very happy with this device, especially with the price I got it for (30$). It works great, has a long battery life, and can be used for many different things other than finding your lost dog or child. The only thing that bothers me is that there’s no way of knowing how much battery life you have left without taking the batteries out. Other than that it’s a great purchase for anyone in need of one.
I give it 9/10 because even though it’s kind of weird not knowing how much battery life is left when there are no batteries in it. It still works great, has a long battery life, and can be used for many different things besides finding your lost dog or child.
Many people have been asking me lately what my thoughts are on the landairsea 54 GPS tracker that I mention in my last blog post here. After having the GPS tracker for a while now I’ve had plenty of time to try it out and give it some thought.
I’m going to do a quick rundown of the things I like and don’t like about it, as well as anything else that pertains to it. If you’re looking for more in-depth information on how it works and what it can do then I’ve already provided you with everything you need.